Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I was supposed to attend a rally for Sarah Palin in Henderson, NV yeseterday, but I had to drive out to Kingman, AZ for business instead. I have heard that it was a zoo trying to get into the venue, so maybe it was just as well. I imagine it is the last time Caribou Barbie will pass through the state, but maybe there will be another chance down the line. With the immense response she has received from the base of the Republican party, she might be tagged to run on the top of the ticket next time.

The national polls are continuing to look more and more grim for Senator McCain, but as Tina Fey said: "Polls are just a fancy way of systematically predicting what's gonna happen." It looks increasingly likely that Barack Obama will be our next President, but that doesn't worry me. I am a strong John McCain supporter, but I don't view Obama as a threat to our nation or as someone who will appoint terrorists as advisors (just a sample of what I've heard during the course of the campaign). What has me concerned is the likelihood that radical Democrats in Congress will be assuming leadership positions with nearly absolute power. The Democrats in the Senate are likely to achieve a 60 member majority which will overpower any attempt at a filibuster; while the House is set to see a massive number of newly elected Dems. Senator Reid and Speaker Pelosi are going to take this country in directions that scare the hell out of me. Massive redistribution of wealth, stifling corporate and personal taxes, environmental extremism, a weakened national defense, a paradigm shift in foreign policy, ramped up social programs that are already unsustainable, the list goes on. These aren't right wing conspiracies, this is based of their voting record which is available for everyone to review online.

I realize these are tough times, and that many people are hurting from a bad economy that is shedding jobs at an alarming rate. However, the move toward socialism that is the vision of hard-left Democrats is hardly the solution. Capitalism has brought a higher standard of living to more people than any economic system in the history of the world. Sen. Waters actually stated in a Senate hearing, for the record, that if she had her way, she would socialize the oil companies. The potential for disaster under a very liberal President and Congress is evident. Our leaders should not be looking to European systems as examples, but that is exactly what they're doing. I have a genuine concern for what is going to happen to our country with very liberal leaders. Our government is at it's best when we have a strong two party system, so that they can check each other from going to far in one direction.

It's important to note that the United States is not a true democracy, but rather, a representative republic. This is a very important distinction. Because we elect representatives to speak on our behalf, it is important for voters to be educated on the issues that the candidate supports. I fear that many voters in this country have no idea what the issues are, but are simply asking for change.

My mind is jumping from topic to topic, and I'll have to save some of what I'm thinking for other posts. However, I did want to share a text message my good friend from Philly sent me:

How do you piss off a liberal?

Get a job, take responsibility for your own life, and be happy!

1 comment:

The Duncan Proect said...

Great post. I too see the writing on the wall. Here is the latest in left wing extremism. San Francisco will vote on a proposition/measure to dicriminalize prostitution. The reasoning--too much police resource is going to identifying/arresting/prosecuting johns and hookers. They are not legalizing the activity, no regulation is proposed. They are merely not going to protect and serve in those areas.