Thursday, October 9, 2008


College football teams around the country have different ways of intimidating opponents. Down at LSU they have the visiting team exit by Mike the Tiger, a full grown bengal tiger who inevitably roars and claws at the cage when the opposing team runs out of the tunnel. In Florida a large crowd surrounds the visiting buses as they pull up to the stadium and chants "gator bait, gator bait" as they exit. Iowa uses a more pacifying approach, they have painted the visiting locker room pink. Everything in the room is pink, from the benches to the toilets.

Ever since reading Dante's Divine Comedy, I have wanted to petition the University of Utah to put a large sign about the tunnel of the visiting locker room. One that reads:
THROUGH ME, THE WAY INTO THE SUFFERING CITY;

THROUGH ME THE WAY INTO GRIEF ETERNAL...


ABANDON EVERY HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE.


A bit melodramatic? Maybe. But, I think it would be a nice way to welcome the enemy for the day from other schools. What do you think fellow Ute fans? How would you enhance the intimidation factor at our stadium?

2 comments:

Manda Jeann said...

Definitely the third. Abandon every hope is right. Today after lunch, Mike and I were walking by two smokers who saw my jacket and Mike's shirt. They said in undertones "byu" and I whipped around on a dime and said what? I was smiling and having a good time but they got scared and as I was walking away I heard the one say to the other..."I thought she was going to come at me!" HAHAHA Abandon every hope...is my vote!!

The Duncan Proect said...

Love this. It would be fun to see how many players know who Dante was.