Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Financial Reporting


Have you ever been listening to someone and you found yourself wanting to shout AMEN!? I have a phenomenol professor for my FINANCE 7700 class, and during an online lecture he was decrying the state of financial reporting on most cable news networks. One of the reasons that the average American knows so little about finance is due, in part, to the paltry and piece-meal coverage of the subject by media outlets. He asked us to find examples and get back to him in our discussion forum, and those examples were not hard to find. It should be noted that CNBC is an exception, and it is hard to believe how much better that channel is than it's sister station, MSNBC. This professor I alluded to has actually worked as a trader on Wall Street for 21 years, and he mentioned that every room in the building was tuned to CNBC.


For my money, and this magazine does cost more than most, The Economist is the best source for news on the business and international fronts. They are based out of London, but they have better insight on the American political and financial stories that are important to me than any American based source I've found. Not recommended for those who are interested in the latest Spears' family exploits.




3 comments:

The Duncan Proect said...

Darn I was hoping The Economist would meet all my needs. If I only have the funds for one periodical--People or the Economist??? Heck, maybe just the Ensign for now.
Look forward to following your blog. Do you use google reader?

t8nsocal said...

Uh oh -

Don't read number 3 in my latest post. Just skip it and move to number 2.

Anonymous said...

Nick I am about halfway through THE POST-AMERICAN WORLD by Fareed Zakaria. I know that it is a book that you would enjoy. It is about the rise of China and India as a global distribution of power. In the authors view the demise of the American economy has come from the rise of Chine and India.