I just returned from a trip to my hometown, SLC, to watch the Utes beat up on the UNLV Rebels from my current city of Las Vegas. Someone at the pre-game tailgate asked me if I felt some affiliation with UNLV since I have lived in Vegas for five years. The short and long answer to that is: no. I have been affiliated with six different schools of higher learning since high school, and none will ever supplant THE University of Utah as THE school that I am devoted to. 





It was great to see family and friends at the game and during the weekend, particularly my beautiful niece Madison, whom I saw for the first time. I was also able to play with Kailey Jo and she is the cutest little girl on Earth today.
-
On the flight home I was able to finish one book and start another. I finished The War for all the Oceans by Roy and Lesley Adkins, and began The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. The War for all the Oceans was a fantastic book that chronicles the naval battles during Napoleon and Lord Nelson's time. I have started doing outlines as I read, and it has helped me to remember some of the amazing quotes and stories. I am also making it a point to write down any words I don't know the meaning of to expand my lexicon.
-
See if you know any of the words I didn't know:
-
Evinced- to show clearly; make evident or manifest; prove
Sagacity- acuteness of mental discernment and soundness of judgment
Approbation- official approval or sanction
Pinnace- a light sailing ship; esp. formerly used in attendance of larger ships
Alacrity- promptness or eager and speedy readiness
Enfilade- a position in which troops are exposed to gunfire along the length of their
Formation
Ennui- weariness and dissatisfaction with life that results from a loss of interest or sense
of excitement
Pestiferous- bringing or bearing disease
Gendarmes- a police officer in several European countries, esp. France
Bivouac- temporary military encampment
Bacchanalian- in ancient Rome, festivities in honor of Bacchus that involved orgiastic
Rites
Ribaldry- language or behavior that is humorous but rude and vulgar, often involving sex
Enervation- to weaken someone’s physical, mental, or moral vitality
Indolence- lethargic and not showing any interest or making any effort
Imputable- attribute bad action to someone or something
Integument- an outer protective layer, e.g. a shell, rind, husk or skin
Sagacity- acuteness of mental discernment and soundness of judgment
Approbation- official approval or sanction
Pinnace- a light sailing ship; esp. formerly used in attendance of larger ships
Alacrity- promptness or eager and speedy readiness
Enfilade- a position in which troops are exposed to gunfire along the length of their
Formation
Ennui- weariness and dissatisfaction with life that results from a loss of interest or sense
of excitement
Pestiferous- bringing or bearing disease
Gendarmes- a police officer in several European countries, esp. France
Bivouac- temporary military encampment
Bacchanalian- in ancient Rome, festivities in honor of Bacchus that involved orgiastic
Rites
Ribaldry- language or behavior that is humorous but rude and vulgar, often involving sex
Enervation- to weaken someone’s physical, mental, or moral vitality
Indolence- lethargic and not showing any interest or making any effort
Imputable- attribute bad action to someone or something
Integument- an outer protective layer, e.g. a shell, rind, husk or skin

5 comments:
It's great to see that you have a blog!!! Nick, your seriously one of the most intelligent people, you gave me a great idea for reading. Can't wait to see you next!
I knew the definition of all but 4 of the words. My dad loved words and used to make me do extra homework in a book entitled "It Pays to Increase Your Word Power." I knew the definition of ennui before I was old enough it. Always love to hear what you are reading. I am reading a great novel called The Book Thief. Worth your time for the poetry after you finish the classics.
I intended the sentence to read--knew the definition of ennui before I was old enough to experience it. Blah, blah, blah....
I intended the sentence to read--knew the definition of ennui before I was old enough to experience it. Blah, blah, blah....
YOU HAVE A BLOG!!!! Yipee you jumped on!! Apporbation is the only word that I knew. I love your reading and dedication to expanding your knowledge. I'm reading a books called textbooks. Some such nonsnese about communicating at work and math and computers and such. Only one I enjoy is my Geography book. Ah well...thanks for the comment and see you in Colo Springs!!!!
Post a Comment